What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is medically or chemically induced relaxation during dental procedures. For patients with dental anxiety, sedation can make it possible to get the dental care you need without stress and fear. Sedation can help children who are nervous or fearful when they need a cavity filling or another procedure. We provide various forms of sedation for the comfort of our patients.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry offers many benefits:
- Feel more relaxed. Dental anxiety is very real for some patients, but sedation can help you relax. You don’t have to live in fear of going to the dentist when sedation options are available.
- Avoid the physical symptoms of stress. Anxiety and stress cause physical symptoms that have a negative impact on your overall health. Numerous health problems can occur due to stress, including cardiovascular and digestive issues. But with sedation you can avoid these effects by reducing or eliminating the stress from dental anxiety.
- Procedure seems shorter. Under sedation time can seem to pass more quickly, making a long procedure feel like just a few minutes.
- Overcome dental anxiety. Some patients find that after trying sedation dentistry, they are no longer anxious about having dental work done. It can put an end to dental anxiety for good.
Types of Sedation We Offer
We provide the following sedation dentistry options to our patients:
- Nitrous Oxide. Otherwise known as “laughing gas”, nitrous oxide is a precise combination of nitrogen and oxygen that you breathe through a mask placed over your nose. It provides a calm, euphoric feeling that helps you relax. You may feel a tingling sensation in your arms and legs. Nitrous oxide only takes a few minutes to take effect and only a few minutes to wear off again.
- Conscious Oral Sedation. An oral sedative can come in a pill form that you take before your appointment. You may feel groggy or sleepy. You’ll be awake, just not fully aware of everything going on around you.
Are You a Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
If you feel in any way anxious or nervous about going to the dentist, you may be a good candidate for sedation dentistry. No matter what degree of stress you feel, sedation can eliminate it. You can breeze right through a dental procedure and rest on the couch afterwards.
Why Choose Lakeville Dental?
At Lakeville Dental we specialize in comfort dentistry, and sedation is a big part of our approach. In addition to our sedation options we provide massage chairs, pillows, blankets, leg wedges, televisions over every chair and other comforts. It’s our goal to change the way you feel about going to the dentist. We want to be the dental practice patients actually want to visit to protect and restore their dental health.